Thursday, May 19, 2011

Mind Over Matter; a Funny Connection

I don't know about the rest of you but I love the Dog Whisperer, Cesar Millan.  I don't get to watch his show very often but a while back I was able to sit back and enjoy one of them.  This particular episode featured a black lab that was fine walking on any surface except shiny linoleum (or something like that).  For some reason the dog became very timid when he noticed the shiny floor and it took his owner quite a bit of prodding to get him across it and into another area of the home/business.  Cesar came in and started working with the dog and his owner.  He stated that in order for the dog to overcome his hesitations, apprehensions, or fears about this floor his mind (the dog's mind) needed to be kept in motion; moving "forward", so to speak.  This would not allow the dog to over-analyze  the situation and become fearful.  If the dog wasn't allowed to stop, question his surroundings, and doubt his ability to navigate those surroundings, which in turn made him fearful, his brain would learn a new way of thinking; a stronger way of thinking.  And after half a dozen walk-through s across that shiny floor, with Cesar keeping the dog's body in motion, his mind soon followed.  Practice with the owner turned into a triumph easily overcome with the right knowledge and tools.

And I thought to myself..."I do that."  I over think situations which causes me to doubt my ability to navigate my surroundings.  So I asked myself if there was ever a time in my life when I could remember not questioning or being fearful of anything I did.  And the answer to my own question was "yes".  When I had no fear about what others thought of me I never questioned my own abilities.  And I was willing to take on any task you set in front of me; except maybe the dishes.  It didn't matter if I was knowledgeable about that subject or not.  I had an innate sense that I could do whatever was asked of me and whatever I set out to do.  So the next question was, "How do I get back to not caring what people think of me; not caring whether I am judged negatively?"  I wasn't really sure how to answer that one so I decided to go with Cesar's method.  Whenever I started to feel anxious, inadequate, or lacking in some way, or started to worry that others might judge me harshly I kept my body moving and allowed my brain to to think of everything I was good at, everything that brought me joy, everything in my life that I was grateful for.   And I immediately started to see a difference.  I could feel an inner strength returning.  I started to feel like the real 'me' again, the one who could do anything I set my mind to do.  

I have always been amazed by the ways I receive answers to my questions.  As much as I love animals I am never surprised when they have something to teach me.

Have a great day!!
Quietjewel

No comments:

Post a Comment